Sign Up For Our E-Blast To Receive Information on our Books, Speech Therapy materials and our latest freebies!
Enhance Your Speech Therapy Sessions with ‘Picky Kitty’ – A Must-Have Game for Every Speech Therapist
As speech therapists, we’re constantly on the lookout for engaging and versatile games that can captivate our young clients while addressing their speech and language goals.
Look no further – allow me to introduce you to a gem in the world of speech therapy games: “Picky Kitty.” This delightful and interactive game has proven to be a game-changer in my mixed group sessions, especially for preschoolers and younger school-aged children.
Let’s dive into what makes “Picky Kitty” a must-have addition to your therapy toolkit.
Amazon affiliate links are included.
Game Overview: Feeding the Picky Kitty
At its core, “Picky Kitty” is a game that revolves around a hungry feline with a particular aversion to vegetables. The objective is simple: players take turns feeding the kitty an assortment of colorful veggies, with the aim of being the first to empty their stash. However, there’s a catch – if you make Kitty angry, watch out! Kitty flips its plate, and those veggies go flying. Players spin a spinner to determine which vegetables to offer the picky feline.
Why “Picky Kitty” Is a Practical Choice:
- Durability and Construction: One thing that sets “Picky Kitty” apart is its study design. It can endure the enthusiastic touches and handling of numerous little hands, ensuring it remains a staple in your therapy sessions for years to come.
- Tactile Engagement: The rubber veggies are not only visually appealing but also provide a tactile experience that children enjoy. This hands-on engagement can be especially beneficial for kids who respond well to sensory input.
- No Batteries, No Worries: One of the best features of this game is that it requires zero batteries. No more fretting over battery replacements or running out of juice at a crucial moment – “Picky Kitty” is ready to go whenever you are.
- Nutrition Education: We all know the importance of proper nutrition, and “Picky Kitty” provides a fantastic opportunity to discuss vegetables and their benefits with your young clients in a fun and engaging context.
- Emotion Exploration: Managing emotions is a crucial life skill, and “Picky Kitty” helps kids explore the concept of anger. As Kitty gets angrier with each vegetable added to its plate, children can brainstorm anger management techniques and strategies.
- Facial Expression Learning: Observing how the kitty’s facial expressions change as it accumulates veggies is a valuable lesson in empathy. This interactive aspect helps children learn to recognize emotions in others and respond with understanding.
Targeted Skills and Audience:
The beauty of “Picky Kitty” lies in its versatility for addressing a range of speech and language goals:
- Turn-Taking and Patience: Players practice waiting and taking turns, a critical skill in communication and social interactions.
- Vocabulary Building: Children learn the names of various vegetables and enhance their vocabulary.
- Articulation and Expressive Language: Naming veggies encourages expressive language development and provides an opportunity to practice speech sounds.
- Emotional Literacy: The game prompts discussions about emotions, helping kids understand and articulate their feelings.
- Social and Cognitive Skills: Planning moves, making decisions based on the spinner, and considering the consequences of their actions.
- Children aged 4 and up.
- Those who need guidance with sharing and turn-taking.
- Kids who can benefit from exploring emotions and building emotional intelligence.
- Children who thrive on interactive and hands-on learning experiences.
Incorporating “Picky Kitty” into your speech therapy sessions is sure to enhance the learning experience for your young clients. It seamlessly blends entertainment and education, nurturing language development and social skills within an enjoyable framework.
So, fellow speech therapists, consider adding “Picky Kitty” to your toolkit – it’s a decision that promises happy faces, engaged minds, and lasting benefits for the children you work with. Let the feeding frenzy begin!
- Enhance Your Speech Therapy Sessions with ‘Picky Kitty’ – A Must-Have Game for Every Speech Therapist
- Same and Different: Why Speech Therapists and Educators Should Target this Basic Concept
- New Beginnings for Scanlon Speech Therapy
- Articulation Speech Therapy: Favorite Activities, Games, and Books to Target the TH Sounds
- Articulation Speech Therapy: Favorite Activities, Games and Books to Target the L Sound