Experience the difference…
Who Is Kimberly Scanlon
Kimberly Scanlon is a licensed and certified speech language pathologist, best-selling author, and parent who’s helped countless individuals and families learn to joyfully communicate via her speech therapy sessions, books, newsletters, and workshops. Her best-selling book, My Toddler Talks, is a favorite among practicing speech language pathologists and professionals who work in early intervention. Kimberly’s latest book, My Toddler’s First Words, was awarded the Kirkus Star, one of the most coveted designations in the book industry. In addition to her books, Kimberly’s writing and expertise has been featured in Parents, Care.com, The Washington Post, ASHAsphere, and the Student Doctor Network. Kimberly has been interviewed on numerous podcasts and provides engaging, informative workshops. A life-time learner, Kimberly has earned 4 awards (ACE) from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) for continuing education. As a graduate of Immaculate Heart Academy, Rutgers and Montclair State, Kimberly is a Jersey Girl who lives in Ramsey, New Jersey with her husband, Ryan, and their 2 delightful young children. She enjoys riding her bike, reading books, playing with her children, and trying to exercise.
In 2007, she began her speech therapy career at Clara Maass Medical Center. Kimberly assessed and treated inpatients and outpatients from preschoolers to geriatric adults with speech, language, voice, fluency, swallowing and cognitive disorders. Working in an acute environment allowed Kimberly to collaborate with medical doctors, nurses, physical and occupational therapists as well as other speech language pathologists. Kimberly moved on to work at Alpine Public School where she designed therapy programs and treated students from Kindergarten to 8th grade. She further enhanced her skills working per diem at various skilled nursing facilities, local private practices and several early intervention providers for the state of New Jersey. Looking to provide highly individualized speech therapy, Kimberly formed Scanlon Speech Therapy in 2011.
Inspired by her daughter, Kimberly created Gratitude Journal for Kids, a beautifully designed journal to help children learn to reflect and appreciate life one day at a time. A portion of the proceeds from this journal is donated to various children based charities.
Kimberly is an active member of the following organizations:
- American Speech and Hearing Association (ASHA)
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Special Interest Group (1) Language Learning and Education
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) Special Interest Group (4) Fluency and Fluency Disorders
- American Academy of Private Practice in Speech Pathology and Audiology (AAPPSPA)
- New Jersey Speech and Hearing Association (NJSHA)
Additional Expertise, Certifications and Trainings
- Char Boshart’s articulation and oral sensory and motor placement techniques for speech (e.g.” Solutions From Capability to Carryover)
- Pam Marshalla’s articulation and oral sensory motor placement techniques for speech (e.g. Lateral and Frontal Lisps).
- Christine Risuccia’s articulation and speech sound disorders techniques (e.g. The Entire World of R, Frontal and Lateral Lisp Disorders and Early Developing Sounds)
- Sara Rosenfeld-Johnson’s oral motor intervention for articulation and feeding
- Specially trained by the Montreal Fluency Centre in the Lidcombe Program and experienced in offering the Camperdown Program to treat stuttering
- Sarah Ward’s Executive Function Training
- Recipient of four ACE awards from ASHA for continuing education – for Additional Expertise, Certifications, and Training.
- Kristin Chmela’s Communicative Training Skills for parents of preschoolers who stutter
- Certified in It Takes Two to Talk® – Hanen Program® – for Parents of Children with Language Delays
- Certified in More Than Words® – Hanen Program® – for Parents of Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- The Institute of Language and Phonology
- Certified in Compton P-ESL accent modification program by the Institute of Language and Phonology